Episode #137 - Going Without
Sep 22, 2023
On this episode we explore the concept of 'going without.' From the wartime years of rationing to our fast-paced, modern world, where instant gratification has become the norm. Listen in to explore the psychology of gratification, the brain chemistry behind our cravings, and the impact of our choices on our health and well-being. We'll also discuss practical strategies for embracing delayed gratification and creating a healthier relationship with food and life. If you rarely 'go without' or find yourself seeking instant rewards, this episode will offer insights into the complex interplay between our desires, self-control, and the pursuit of long-term satisfaction.
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- The shift in societal attitudes toward instant gratification and its impact on our choices, in the realm of food.
- The complex psychology of gratification and how our brains release feel-good chemicals like dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin when we indulge in certain foods.
- Uncover the compelling feeling of impulsivity and the factors that drive us to seek instant rewards over long-term goals.
- Delve into the mix of emotions we experience when resisting instant gratification, including frustration, anxiety, and the ultimate rewards of pride, anticipation, and empowerment.
- Learn practical strategies for practicing self-control, going without, and embracing delayed gratification in everyday life.
- Explore the role of mindfulness in fostering self-awareness and improving impulse control, with tips on incorporating mindfulness practices into your routine.
- Gain insights into the path to success and personal growth through delayed gratification, setting clear goals, recognizing triggers, and developing healthy habits.
- Understand the positive outcomes of delayed gratification efforts, including a sense of contentment, fulfilment, and long-term satisfaction.
Featured on the show: